HISTORY

The Elizabeth Grove Primary School began over fifty years ago in 1960, shortly after the Elizabeth Grove Infant School had begun on the same site in 1959.

The official opening was celebrated with an Assembly in the quadrangle with Mr Brown, the Headmaster, Dignitaries, Teachers and about 1150 students. There was a Mother’s Club to assist with fundraising and a School Council.

In the early 1970s, an Open Space Unit was built to house four very large classes of Grade Five and Six students. The OSU had a modern Wet Area, and Withdrawal Rooms as well as an Office for the four Teachers and one Teacher Aide who worked in the building.

In the late 1990s, the two schools, The Elizabeth Grove Junior Primary School (formerly Infant School) and the Elizabeth Grove Primary School amalgamated under the one name. Mr Michael Legg was the Primary School Principal at this time, encouraging the use of computers as a learning tool and beginning the networking of the computer system in late 1999.

Over the years, the original red-bricked buildings have been renovated and added to. Students and year levels have moved to various different locations. The Library has been in at least three locations in the main building.

The huge shelter sheds that were lunch areas for hundreds of students, have been changed or covered in to create different learning spaces. Playground areas have seen a variety of types of play equipment from steel bars to treated pine log structures and now our innovative new Nature Play Space.

In the mid-2000s, the Elizabeth Grove Children’s Centre (Formerly Elizabeth Grove Kindergarten) moved to school site using part of the old Junior Primary buildings with their own specially built play area. The site became known as the Elizabeth Grove Community Campus from 2005. Kids N You – part of the Women’s and Children’s Hospital Services, uses still more of the old Junior Primary section for offices, and has various extra buildings to cater for community needs.

The Gym and Covered Outdoor Learning Areas over the playground equipment were opened at the 50th Anniversary Celebrations of the school in December 2010. Over the years, many improvements have been made to the site to make the school a more effective learning place. Through the use of research, innovation, and a shared vision, further improvements are planned to support students with their learning throughout the 21st Century.

Respect  ⋅  Honesty  ⋅  Community

Department for Education trading as South Australian Government Schools & Preschools

This website was built following the Department for Education requirements by Education Web Solutions

6 + 10 =

Department for Education logo
SA Gov logo
Creative Commons logo
Feedback & Complaints logo
Australian Curriculum logo
Branding SA logo